I know you're all getting these - emails from random folk asking to guest blog on your blog. I wouldn't mind so much, there's a certain flattery in being approached to share someone else's writing, but... 99% of the people asking to post on this blog are not even associated with pets. And the other 1%, who are associated with pets, somehow (sometimes just by showing an infographic they created about the pet community), aren't qualified to be a guest blogger here.
Is this happening to you? What does it mean? Could it mean:
- People think we're stupid? I mean, really... why would I allow a random person I don't even know to post on my blog, especially when they're not a pet person?
- People think they're ... way better writers or promoters, than they are? "I write for these sites and I'd be happy to write for you, for free!" Sure you would...
- People think it's okay to insult other bloggers because, after all, my little blog needs the extra help and all.
Not! Not! Not!
Dear "I'd Like To Guest Post On Your Blog" writer: I am not stupid. The fact that you have decided my blog is worthwhile to you, does not mean I think you're worthwhile to it. You need to do a lot more courting of me before I consider allowing you to guest blog on my site!
And, by the way, from your email... I can tell you're not the great writer you want me to believe you are. You're mediocre. Practice a little more. Learn something about blogs, blogging, and especially about pet people. We're friendly, but not when you insult us with a generic pitch.
Finally, my blog doesn't need your help. Maybe instead of offering to raise my traffic if I share your writing and your links, you should learn to raise your own traffic. Become that blogger you want me to believe you are. Then come back and ask if you can talk about guest posting.
I suspect this issue will not go away soon. I suspect some of the "pitches" are from PR firms on behalf of clients. Which is even scarier because...shouldn't professionals in PR know better?
The biggest laugh is when these random people offer to do this pawsome guest post for me... for free. Oh heavens! Be still my beating heart! A guest post and I don't have to pay for it! Wow!
Funny how, when I write back and offer to consider their post, for $150... they disappear into wherever they came from in the first place, and I never hear back.
On the other hand, it's not so funny. The truth is - I don't have guest bloggers on this blog. And, if you want a sponsored post, you need to pay for it.
Thanks for listening... off to delete a bunch of emails now.